Essential Architecture-  Paris

Hotel de Montmorency

architect

Claude Nicolas Ledoux

location

Paris, France

date

1769

style

Second Empire

construction

masonry 

type

Town House (hôtel)
 
   
Hotels de Montmorency
There are two hotels Montmorency in the Rue du Cherche-Midi. The small hotel is at No. 85 and the grand hotel is at No. 89.

The grand hotel was built in 1756 for the Comte de Montmorency-Bours, it illustrates very well Classical architecture. It has a beautiful interior staircase with a medallion of Louis XV, a plaster bust of Mirabeau and a statue of Napoleon.
It was sold in 1776 to Pérusse Cars and confiscated during the French Revolution. It was acquired in 1808 by Marshal Lefebvre, whose wife was the famous Madame Sans-Genoa. It sold the hotel in 1821 without ever having been lived in.
This hotel is now the headquarters of the Embassy of the Republic of Mali.

The small hotel was built in 1743 and acquired in 1752 by the Comte de Montmorency-Bours. It was acquired in 1790 by bankers, the brothers Mallet.
He then became the property of Baron d'Uckermann, who is the heir to the Hébert painter (1817-1908), painter of the Second Empire and director of the Villa Medici in Rome. Uckermann transformed the building into a Museum dedicated to the painter.
The hotel was given to the state in 1974, it retains its floors, panelling and curtains of origin.
 
Rue de Montmorency

Rue de Montmorency (Montmorency Street) is located in the historic 3rd district (IIIe arrondissement) of Paris (also named Le Marais), in the historical heart of the French city.

This street runs from Temple Street to the rue Saint-Martin (at number 212).

Since 1768 the rue de Montmorency has been called after the Montmorency family, one of the families of Le Marais during the Renaissance period.

Between the end of the French Revolution and 1806, the rue de Montmorency was known as "Reunion Street".

Residents of the Rue de Montmorency
A house built in 1407 by Nicolas Flamel himself still stands, the oldest stone house in Paris, at 51 rue de Montmorency; the ground floor, always a tavern, currently houses the Auberge Nicolas Flamel. Nicolas Flamel, a scrivener and manuscript-seller who developed a reputation as an alchemist, claimed that he made the Philosopher's Stone which turns lead into gold, and that he and his wife Pernelle achieved immortality. Engraved images were discovered during recent works on this house. The house also underwent new restorations in June 2007.
At Number 5 of the street stands an old mansion which belonged until 1624 to the Montmorency family. Nicolas Fouquet, appointed by Anne of Austria as superintendent of the finances in 1653 lived there from 1651 till 1658. Théophile de Viau also stayed there. A neoclassic fountain can still be seen in the garden of the hôtel Thiroux de Lailly.
Madame de Sévigné lived from 1676 until 1677 in the building located at 8 of the rue de Montmorency.
The street is close to the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers housed in the medieval priory of Saint-Martin-des-Champs. It is also located very close to the Centre Georges Pompidou (also named Beaubourg Museum). Numerous modern art galleries can be found on Rue de Montmorency.

links

 
www.essential-architecture.com