Essential Architecture-  London

Lincolns Inn

architect

The Great Hall and part of the Stone Buildings were designed by the father and son architects, Philip and Philip Charles Hardwick. Another famous architect, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott , also contributed to the Great Hall and it can be clearly seen which part.  Philip Hardwick wanted to be known for as his initials are shown one side of the building as P.H - 1843.

location

It is situated in Holborn, in the London Borough of Camden, just on the border with the City of London and the City of Westminster, and across the road from Royal Courts of Justice. The nearest tube station is Chancery Lane.

date

1843

style

Gothic Revival

construction

stone

type

Education
 
 
  Part of Lincoln's Inn drawn by Thomas Shepherd c.1830. This illustration shows the Hall (now the Old Hall), the Chapel and Chancery Court.
 
 
  This 1845 banquet in the recently built New Hall was attended by Queen Victoria.
 

links

www.essential-architecture.com