Essential Architecture-  London

Freemasons Hall

architect

 

location

Great Queen Street between Holborn and Covent Garden

date

1927 - 1933

style

Art Deco 

construction

stone

type

hall
 
   
Freemasons' Hall in London is the headquarters of the United Grand Lodge of England and a meeting place for the Masonic Lodges in the London area.

The site of the Freemasons' Hall in Great Queen Street between Holborn and Covent Garden has been a Masonic meeting place since 1775.

The current art deco building, the third to be built on this site, was built between 1927 and 1933 as a memorial to the 3,225 Freemasons who died on active service in the First World War. Initially known as the Masonic Peace Memorial, the name was changed to Freemasons' Hall at the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939.

Tours of the building are available to the public during weekdays.

The entrance of the building is used as the entrance of Thames House (the home of MI5) in the TV series Spooks.

links

History of Freemasons' Hall
www.essential-architecture.com