Essential Architecture-  London

Eltham Palace

architect

various

location

Nearest train station is Eltham railway station

date

1933 incorporating Edward IV's great hall (1470s)

style

Art Deco 

construction

stone

type

House
 
 
  Eltham Palace's Art Deco interior
 
   
Eltham Palace is an Art Deco house in Eltham, London, currently owned by English Heritage and open to the public. It has been said that it is a 'masterpiece of modern design'.

Historic palace
The original Palace was given to Edward II in 1305 and used as a royal residence from the 14th century to the 16th century. The current house was built in the 1930s on the site of the original. It incorporates Edward IV's great hall (1470s). According to one account the incident which inspired the foundation of the Order of the Garter took place here.

Modern house
In 1933 Sir Stephen and Lady Virginia Courtauld acquired the lease of the palace site and restored the Great Hall while building a beautiful Art Deco home (Stephen was the younger brother of industrialist and art collector Samuel Courtauld, founder of the Courtauld Institute of Art). The Courtaulds remained at Eltham until 1944 when they moved to Scotland, giving the palace to the Royal Army Education Corps in March 1945 which remained there until 1992.

In 1995 English Heritage assumed management of the palace, and in 1999 completed major repairs and restorations of the interiors and gardens.

Great Hall
The palace is open to the public and can be hired for weddings and other functions. Nearest train station is Eltham railway station, a short walk from the palace.

links

 
www.essential-architecture.com