Essential Architecture-  London

St. Mary-le-Strand

architect

James Gibbs

location

The Strand, London The nearest tube station is Temple.

date

1714 to 1717

style

English Baroque

construction

masonry

type

Church
 
 
St Mary-le-Strand is a Church of England church on Strand, London, in the City of Westminster, London. It was designed by James Gibbs and completed in 1717, with funding from the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches. It stands to the North of Somerset House and South of Bush House, on what is now a traffic island.

It is the official church of the Women's Royal Naval Service, and has a book of remembrance for members who have died in service.

links

www.essential-architecture.com