Essential Architecture-  London

St. Antholin Demolished 1875 

architect

Sir Christopher Wren

location

Watling Street

date

1678 to 1691

style

late English Renaissance to NeoBaroque

construction

masonry- dome peaks at 366 feet

type

Church
 
  Church demolished 1874-6. Spire top now at Sydenham
 

  Two views of the tower of St Antholin; one of the tower erected in 1685, the other of a design of 1875. Between the two is a plan of the church.
St Antholin, Budge Row

St Antholin, Budge Row or St Antholin, Watling Street was a former church in the City of London, which was demolished in 1874. Nowadays it has resurrected as: St Anthony and St Silas, Nunhead [1].

The original church was first recorded in 1119. It is known to have been rebuilt in the 1400s. In 1666, the church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London. It was rebuilt in 1678-1684 by Sir Christopher Wren. The church was demolished in 1874 as part of the Union of Benefices Act.

Successor churches
On 1878-05-11, a successor church, St Antholin, Nunhead, was consecrated. On 1940-12-27, this church was gutted by incendiaries. On 1957-10-12, the rebuilt church was reconsecrated as St Anthony, Nunhead. In 2001, the church was united with St Silas, Peckham Rye when St Silas was demolished. In 2003, the church was rebuilt on the same site and dedicated to St Anthony and St Silas, Nunhead.

References
Of all the churches demolished in the nineteenth century, the loss of St Antholin's seems to have caused the greatest regret. Gordon Huelinp35 of "Vanished Churches of the City of London" London, Guildhall Library Publications, 1996 ISBN 0900422424
 
1119
Church first recorded.

c.1400
Church rebuilt.

1552
Record of 5 bells and 2 sanctus bells ("v bells one greater than another and ij smalle sanctus belles").

1578-9
A "small bell for morninge service" was purchased from Whitechapel and hung in the tower. It weighed 1-2-16.

1599-1600
A bell may have been recast.

1607-8
The tenor and the sanctus bell were recast. The frame was repaired by Philip Walton, Carpenter.

1625-6
The tenor was again recast and other work took place in the tower.

1649-50
The tenor was recorded as being "in danger of falling", so it was taken down.

1651-2
The tenor was recast by William Eldridge and hung by Mr Turner. The bells were "tewned" by Mr Blackwell.

1666
Church destroyed in the Great Fire.

1668-9
The bell metal and lead from the church roof was removed and stored.

1672
31 cwt of bell metal was sold and a new bell was purchased from Mr Hudson.

1678-84
Church rebuilt by Wren, his finest parish church.

1687-88
Spire added.

1708
Record of 1 bell.

1714
Record of 1 bell.

1717
2 bells cast by Richard Phelps.

1874
Church demolished under the Union of Benefices Act (a protest temporarily saved the tower).

1876
Tower demolished. A memorial to it stood on the site: it is now in St Mary Aldermary. The spire was sold to a gentleman at Sydenham for £50. The top part of it still stands in Sydenham.

1878
11th May
The successor church of St Antholin, Nunhead was consecrated. The 2 bells from the city church were transferred here.

1925
Tenor recast at Whitechapel at a cost of £69.9s.7d.

1940
27th/28th Dec.
Church gutted by incendiaries.

1957
Bells taken down and rehung on RSJs in the angle between two walls by Mears & Stainbank.

1957
12th Oct.
Church reconsecrated and the name was changed to St Anthony.

2001
Parish united with that of St Silas, Peckham Rye (St Silas church was demolished).

2003
A new church (Ss Anthony and Silas, Nunhead) was built on the old St Silas Site. It has a stone clad steel tower wherein the two bells were rehung "dead" for electrical operation. The work was carried out by Hayward Mills Associates.

links

 
www.essential-architecture.com