Essential Architecture-  Island Rügen

St Andrea's Church in Rappin

architect

 

location

Rügen, in the Baltic Sea off the coast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany.

date

1305-1635

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
   
 The village Rappin was first mentioned in 1305 and is located near the Jamno lagoon; construction of the brick church started around 1300. Subsequently, the rib-vaulted nave was added, as were a vestibule and sacristy. The wooden bell tower was created only in 1635. A limestone font, the oldest piece in the church, dates back to the second half of the 13th century, and is decorated with motifs of round arches and faces. Escutcheons and memorial slabs from the 18th century bear witness to the many aristocratic families of the knights' estates in the area.

Extraordinary: Two communion cups from the late Middle Ages

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com