Essential Architecture-  Island Rügen

St Andreas Church in Lancken Granitz

architect

 

location

Rügen, in the Baltic Sea off the coast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany.

date

15th century

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
   
 This brick Gothic church, situated on a hill, dates back to the 15th century. Its oldest piece is a wooden cross affixed to a triumphal arch. The eight-sided pulpit with its star-shaped ceiling was built in 1598. The baptismal angel, created during the Baroque era, was recently restored. The altar screen (early 19th century) contains a copy of the Madonna painting by Correggio. The organ, which was manufactured in Szczecin in 1909, was restored in 2001.

Surroundings: Hunting castle Granitz

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com