Essential Architecture-  Island Rügen

Church of Landow

architect

 

location

Rügen, in the Baltic Sea off the coast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany.

date

1733

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
   
 The brick church with its half-timbered tower (1733) dates back to the 15th century. As a result of poor maintenance during GDR times, the Baroque wooden ceiling had to be taken down; the impressive confessional and patronage pews had to be dismantled and secured. The altar from 1724 can still be seen. Thanks to its open-style roof truss, the church offers interesting acoustics; in summer, it is used for concerts and monthly masses.

Extraordinary: Use as a "cultural and procession church". The valuable triumph cross (c.1500) is on display at the community centre of Stralsund-Knieperwest.

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com