Essential Architecture-  Island Rügen

St. George’s Church in Wiek




Rügen, in the Baltic Sea off the coast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany.




Hanseatic Brick Gothic




 opening hours:
no regular opening hours

the building:
An early structure from 1318 is mentioned in the records. The present late-Gothic church was built in several phases from about 1400 onwards. Brick building on carefully hewn large boulders in the foundation and lower courses. Two choir bays and sacristy from the first building phase, with four cross-vaulted, three-aisle nave bays and narthex added a little later. Gables to the west and east with blind openings. Interior painted white. At various places, late Medieval murals (red tendril ornamentation on a white ground) and crosses from about 1500 have been uncovered in the vault. All windows are ogival. Pent roof. A burial vault was added in 1787 (now serves as a mortuary), free-standing bell-cote from about 1600. Thorough restoration in 1826. Installation of a winter church to the north in 1928. Oldest furnishings and accessories: Limestone font from 1250 (probably from the preceding building). Worth noting: late-Medieval equestrian statue of a St. George sitting upright in the saddle with open visor and hair to his shoulders, dating from the early 15th century (a gift from a Pomeranian duchess on the consecration of the church), rood beam with crucifix of the triumphal cross ensemble dating from 1300 and figures of Mary (about 1500) and John from the second half of the 15th century (probably assembled in 1826). Other furnishings: tomb slabs, figures from another triumphal cross ensemble from about 1500, Baroque wooden font stand from about 1730, retable from 1747 by Michael Müller, Stralsund, two confessionals, Baroque memorial tablets, pictures from the 17th and 18th centuries, pulpit from 1826. Unusually large village church (one of the most spacious churches on Rügen).


Special thanks to