Essential Architecture-  Island Rügen

Poseritz Church

architect

 

location

Rügen, in the Baltic Sea off the coast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany.

date

1325

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
   
 opening hours:
no regular opening hours

Entrance fees:
free

the building:
Brick church on foundations of large fieldstones. There are individual fieldstone courses in the tower. Work on the nave began between 1302 and 1325. The structure was designed as a three aisle hall structure, and this plan was followed in the first phase of construction, visible in the applied columns to the left and right of the tower entrance. Those to the east were removed in widening the triumphal arch, when a broader choir than originally planned was added, which required cuts into the east wall of the nave. The outer walls originate from the three aisle hall church. But in the second phase of construction the church was finally erected in the form of a triple-bay hall with buttresses. The choir, nave, and sacristy have cross vaulting (rib profile in the choir: ogee moulding between concave mouldings, in the nave: roll moulding), applied columns supported outside by abutment piers. Choir with rectangular termination built shortly afterwards in the 14th century. The sacristy was added afterwards in about 1400 to the north between the choir and the east wall of the nave. Massive west tower dating from later than 1450 using existing denticulation, a polygonal spire being added in 1580. The west portal with its segmental arch has an old, nailed diamond pattern door. The interior is plastered in white. Floors: brick paving.Oldest furnishings and accessories: 14th century limestone font, Gothic crucifix over the south portal from about 1400, attendant figures: a bishop and a saint with book, sepulchral slabs set into the floor of the choir from the period between 1329 and 1744. Other furnishings: offertory box from the 15th century, bell from about 1500, large triumphal cross ensemble with 16th century cross, Mary and John from the 15th century, two wooden patron chairs from 1598 and 1600, memorial tablet from 1600 (family of the pastor before the crucified Christ), late Baroque carved altar from 1703, confessional from 1747, Rococo pulpit by Jakob Freese, Stralsund, from 1755.

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com