Essential Architecture-  Island Rügen

St. Michael’s Church, Sagard

architect

 

location

Rügen, in the Baltic Sea off the coast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany.

date

early 13th century

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
   
 opening hours:
no regular opening hours

Entrance fees:
free

the building:
Imposing brick village church. Massive fieldstone tower foundations. In the early 13th century a single-nave, four-bay Romanesque church was built. Of the original late-Romanesque structure, the nave walls and the western part of the triumphal arch have survived to their full height. The structure of the Romanesque upper wall has been preserved almost completely inside and out. In about 1400 the choir was rebuilt in Gothic style (using demolition material from the Romanesque choir) and a sacristy was added. In the course of the 15th century: alterations to the nave by insertion of arcades in the north wall, the construction of a northern aisle and a southern chapel. In the south wall of the Romanesque nave, Gothic windows were inserted. The west tower was built in about 1500. The choir has a flat board ceiling (the planned vault was never built). The nave was vaulted after completion of the west tower. In 1633 the polygonal spire was restored and the pavilion roof built. In 1786/87 the south chapel was extended by two rib-vaulted bays in Renaissance style. The two-storey sacristy was built in the 18th century using wall remnants from an older sacristy. The outer wall of the northern aisle was newly faced in 1917. The interior is whitewashed. Fittings are painted a uniform yellowish brown. The floor is paved with brick and clay tiling. The choir is raised by four steps. The rooftruss is medieval. Oldest furnishings and accessories: corpus of a triumphal cross ensemble from the 15th century. Worth noting: two-storey organ from 1796 by the organ builder Christian Kindt from Stralsund with an elaborate Baroque front. Other furnishings: 2 confessionals from about 1720, altar from 1726/27 by the Stralsund wood sculptor Elias Keßler, pulpit, font, pews, and gallery from 1830. Notice: Third-oldest church on Rügen, Romanesque core, massive, squat, fortress-like tower, imposing village church, organ is the second-oldest surviving instrument on the island.

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com