Essential Architecture-  Island Rügen

St. Mary’s Church in Waase on Ummanz

architect

 

location

Rügen, in the Baltic Sea off the coast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany.

date

1291-1440

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
   
Contact:
Phone (parish office) +49 (0)38305-328
Email (Rügen tourism office): info@ruegen.de

opening hours:
no regular opening hours

Entrance fees:
free

the building:
The chapel created in 1291 by Cistercian monks assumed its present shape in 1440 when it was rebuilt as a brick church. The half-timber framed nave (oak beams with brick fillings) was constructed in the 16th and 17th centuries with the choir annex added in the 18th century. Later restoration works served to expose paintings from around 1470 on the walls and the triumphal arch. The oldest decorative features are the Gothic triumphal crucifix (around 1500) and the Gothic carved altar created in 1520 at Antwerp. This altar is considered one of the truly outstanding sacred works of art anywhere in Northern Germany and bears close stylistic resemblances to the Bordesholm Altar at Schleswig by Hans Brüggemann and Jan Bormann’s altar for the Güstrow parish church made in Brussels at roughly the same period. The altar was originally acquired by wealthy merchants from Stralsund for a local Church (St. Nicholas’) and found its way to its present location only in 1708. The pulpit was originally made for another church, too, probably again in Stralsund, and the and brass chandelier (Renaissance) also comes from there (from the “New Council Chamber“).

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com