Essential Architecture-  Island Rügen

St. John’s Church at Schaprode

architect

 

location

Rügen, in the Baltic Sea off the coast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany.

date

 

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
   
Contact:
Phone (parish office): +49 (0)38309-1363
Email (Rügen tourism office): info@ruegen.de

the building:
St. John’s Church in Schaprode from the early 13th century is one of the oldest buildings in the area. The Romanesque choir with the apse and parts of the Eastern wall of the (formerly) three-aisle nave have been preserved in their original state. The four-bay, rib-vaulted nave was constructed after 1450. The oldest features include tomb slabs from 1369 and 1403. The late Gothic triumphal cross ensemble on the roof beam (around 1500) is particularly spectacular. The sculptor Hans Broder and the painter Franz Rose created the pulpit, the confessional and probably also the baptismal font in 1723. The Baroque three-storey altarpiece with scenes from the life of Christ was added in 1730. The distinctive church tower can be seen for miles and has been used by seafarers as a landmark for centuries.

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com