Hanseatic city of Anklam  germany
001 St. Mary Church 002 St. Nicolas Church 003 Giebelhaus in Gothic Style
   
004 Stone Gate 005 006
     
 
Anklam is a town in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany, situated on the banks of the Peene river, 8 km from its mouth in the Kleines Haff, and 85 km northwest of Szczecin, on the railway to Stralsund. It is the capital of the district of Ostvorpommern. Population: 14,603 (2005).

History
The fortifications of Anklam were dismantled in 1762 and have not since been restored, although the old walls are still standing; formerly, however, it was a town of considerable military importance, which suffered severely during the Thirty Years' and the Seven Years' Wars; and this fact, together with the repeated ravages of fire and of the plague, has made its history more eventful than is usually the case with towns of the same size. It does not possess any remarkable buildings, although it contains several, private as well as public, that are of a quaint and picturesque style of architecture. The church of St Mary (12th century) has a modern tower, 50 m high. The industries consist of iron foundries and factories for sugar and soap; and there is a military school. The Peene is navigable up to the town, which has a considerable trade in its own manufactures, as well as in the produce of the surrounding country, while some shipbuilding is carried on at wharves on the river.

Anklam, formerly Tanglim, was originally a Slavic fortress; it obtained civic rights in 1244. In 1283 it became a member of the Hanseatic League. Although the town was a rather small and non-influential town compared with other Hanseatic cities, the membership brought wealth and prosperity to Anklam.

The decline of Anklam began with the Thirty Years' War, when Swedish and Imperial troops battled almost twenty years for Anklam. After the war, the town became a part of Swedish Pomerania (1648), but in 1676 was taken by Frederick William, Elector of Brandenburg, and in 1713 it was plundered by the Russian Empire.

The southern parts of the town, were ceded to the Kingdom of Prussia by the peace of Stockholm in 1720, while the parts north of the Peene River remained Swedish. Anklam was a divided town until 1815, when the rest became Prussian as well within the Province of Pomerania. The town became part of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern after World War II.
 
Entrance Gate to sunny Usedom island

Anklam with its 15,000 inhabitants is a district city, and the birthplace of Otto Lilienthal. The first written historical sources on Anklam date back to 1243, in 1264 the city was granted city privileges, and in 1283 it joined the Hanseatic League. Anklam is beautifully situated on Penne River amid wonderful natural surroundings. Many historical buildings give evidence of the interesting tradition.

Contact

Anklam-Information
Markt 3
17389 Anklam
Tel.: 03971/835 154
Fax: 03971/835 175
Email:
info@anklam.de
Internet:
www.anklam.de 
www.essential-architecture.com    the architecture you must see