Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Anklam

St. Mary’s Church in Anklam

architect

unknown

location

Anklam, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany

date

c. 1500

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
   
History

St. Mary’s Church in Anklam is one of the most beautiful gothic brick churches in Meklenburg-Vorpommern. It was founded in the middle of the 13th century. To this day one part of a double tower and a square-shaped presbytery have been preserved. The church was mentioned for the very first time in written documents in 1296. At the end of the 15th century the church’s presbytery was enlarged by three aisles, but also the ceiling and south chapel were raised. The church has remained in this form until today. In 1488 the church changed its name to St. Mary’s Chapel. In 1535, at the time of the Reformation, the church was run by two vicars. As a result of a siege in 1676/77 by the Brandenburgs, the church was damaged. It was successfully rebuilt with support from the electoral duke. Between 1778 and 1849 the tower with small bells was demolished in the eastern part. In 1806 the French army used the church as a hay- and straw-store. In 1814 new organs were consecrated and in 1816 the burnt top of the tower was restored. In the years 1849-1852 the empora (an open platform on the first floor around the church) was destroyed, as well as ornamented benches. It was Karl Loewe who first had the gallery over the aisle and organs rebuilt. In 1887 the top of the tower was raised by almost 100 metres, and additionally the church received new organs. During interior renovation work in 1936 the gothic frescos from the second part of the 14th century were discovered on pillars and the ceiling. The church was severely damaged in 1943 as a result of the air bombings. All the valuable objects were moved to Schweringsburg Castle. However, during the fire in 1945 all of them were burnt. In 1947 the two-sided-roofed tower was rebuilt. The main altar with a cross (from St Nicolas church) as well as two new Apostle Bells were installed. In 1957 the church was re-consecrated and in 1962 the restored altar, St. Mary’s sculpture and the Schuke organs were returned (two manual keyboards, 30 registers). In 1971 the organs were enlarged by a new positive organ (5 registers, additional pedal). Since 1992 work has been going on concerning rebuilding of the roof, external walls, ceilings, heating system, doors and a vestry.

Contact:
Ev. Kirchengemeinde Anklam
Kirchenbüro
Baustraße 33
17389 Anklam
Phone: 03971 21 02 76
Telefax 03971 21 14 03
E-Mail: kgm.anklam@kirchenkreis-greifswald.de
www.kirche-anklam.de 
Opening hours:
May-Sept. 9.00 - 18.00 h

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com