Essential Architecture-  Lüneburg

Bell House

architect

 

location

Lüneburg, Lower Saxony, Germany.

date

1482

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

armoury
   
Bell House

the building

The bell house, built in 1482, was the city’s armoury, but also served as a store for grain and flour. The municipal building yard was located on the bell yard. The building, which is 40 metres long and 13 metres wide, has three full storeys and four attic storeys. The three storeys are dominated by three rows of segmental pediment windows. It is horizontally structured by two terracotta friezes. The upper section of the freestanding east gable displays the city emblem A in glazed brick.
Inside, the roof beams are supported by strong posts and joists. The bell house was converted in 1974.

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com