Essential Architecture-  Lüneburg

St. Nicolas' Court in Bardowick

architect

 

location

Lüneburg, Lower Saxony, Germany.

date

1251

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

hospital
 
   
 St. Nicolas' Court in Bardowick

the building:

The Hospital of St. Nicolas Court was first mentioned in the records in 1251. Lüneburg’s leprosy hospital was located far outside the gates of the city on the southern periphery of Bardowick, a settlement comprising several complexes. After leprosy had gradually abated, the hospital was converted into an old-age home towards the end of the 15th century. The “Oak Court,” a component of the still well defined complex, is bordered on the east by the river Ilmenau. At the heart of the complex with its great trees is the Chapel of St. Nicolas, which dates back to the 14th century. The entrance portal from this period has survived. The west tower was built in the first quarter of the 15th century. The entire brick building was renovated in 1435. In 1445 the vaulted sacristy with organ loft was added. In about 1316 the men’s house was erected, the oldest hospital building at St. Nicolas’ Court. The women’s house was added in about 1770/21. Both have the characteristic structure of a hospital building with small rooms on two sides of a long corridor. There are well-preserved large kitchens in both buildings. The spacious grounds also contain the provisor’s house, a half-timbered structure from the 17th century and the organist’s house consisting of a transverse brick building from the 16th century and a half-timbered structure from 1672. The unity of the complex, the historical buildings, the vegetation, and the riverside location still give a vivid picture of a medieval hospital complex. An account of the history of the complex is to be seen in two almost authentically conserved cells in the Women’s house.

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com