Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Stralsund

Monastery of St. John




Stralsund, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany.


13th to 14th centuries


Hanseatic Brick Gothic




Schillstr. 27, 18439 Stralsund
Tel.: 03831 - 29 42 65  

Opening hours:
May-october 10.00-18.00, apart from Mon- tue

Entrance fees:
Adults: 2,10 €, reduced 0,50€
Groups of 16 people 27,00€

the building:
In 1254 the Franciscan Order was permitted to found the Monastery of St. John against the city wall in the northern Old Town. It is a large complex from the 13th to 14th centuries grouped around two courtyards. Little remains of the monastic church, originally a triple-nave brick hall church. In 1624 fire destroyed the nave, which was not rebuilt. Instead, a sort of walkway was built in the outer walls, and the choir, which had survived, served as a church. After the 1944 air raid, comprehensive restoration was needed. The nave was converted into a planted courtyard and the choir restored within its outer walls. In the aftermath of the great fire of 1624, an interesting historical monument was built into the upper storey: the “Smoking Loft.” Along its whole length, tiny dwellings were installed on both sides of a central corridor with smoke outlets ending in the open roof truss. The monastery has valuable ceiling paintings and murals, for example in the chapter house and the north hall of the west wing. St. John’s Monastery houses the city archives, and is well worth a visit with its rose garden, cloister, and Baroque library.


Special thanks to