Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Stralsund

St. James´ Church Jakobikirche

architect

 

location

Stralsund, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany.

date

mid-14th century

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
  Jakobikirche with the island of Ruegen in the background.
 
  1647 with a Gothic spire, and the spire today.
 
   
Contact:
Jacobiturmstraße
18439 Stralsund
Tel: 03831 –29 04 02
Fax:03831 –29 83 44
www.stralsundtourismus.de

Opening hours:
May- october: daily 11.00-17.00

the building:
The last of the three large parish churches was built in the mid-14th century on the former boundary line between the Old Town and the New Town of Stralsund. A new tower placed in front of the original tower complex enlarged the interior. The ornamental glazed brickwork on the west façade and tower are a distinctive feature of the choirless church. Of the major places of worship in Stralsund, St. James’ suffered the worst damage in the course of history, being struck by lightening in 1662 and ravaged by war, lastly in 1944. The Baroque polygonal spire dates from 1678. Inside the church, the Baroque altar, the Lucht pulpit, parts of the organ, and other works of art have survived. In 1955 the Gustav-Adolf Hall was constructed in the gallery of the tower. St. James’ Church is currently being restored with the financial support of the federal and state governments and the German Foundation for the Conservation of Historic monuments. In future it will provide a venue for civic and cultural events.

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com