Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Rostock

St. Michael’s Church

architect

 

location

Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany

date

1476

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
   
   
   
Contact:
Altbettelmönchstraße

Opening hour:
Monastery: Mon- Fri 10-16h
Church: only for church service

Entrance fees:
free

the building:
St. Michael’s Church and the Wool Store. Originally the lay brothers’ house and church of the Brothers of the Life in Community, who in 1476 ran the first printing works in Rostock. With its aspect of a single-nave friars’ church, the long brick building combines in an unusual manner the religious and profane premises of the monastic community. After secularisation, the buildings were put to a variety of uses, e.g., warehouse (wool store) and transformer station. After having been damaged in the war, the eastern part of the church was restored in 1956, the western part being restored and converted as a university library in 1999. The library stocks include books originally printed there.

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com