Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Rostock

Rostock Town Hall

architect

 

location

Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany

date

1484 with early 18th century, the city hall was subjected to a major stylistic modification to suit the Baroque tastes of the period.

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Town Hall
   
 
   
   
Contact:
Phone:+49 (0)381 381 14 16
www.rostock.de

the building:
The city hall was constructed in the late 13th century as a free-standing, double-gabled house. The cellar and the ground floor were used as a market hall with a multitude of booths, and the upper floor accommodated a banqueting hall and the council chamber. Where the building was facing the town market, a two-storey vaulted arcade was constructed as an annex. The loggia on top of this annex served as a platform for public speeches. The face masonry wall above the arcade originally had only three towers. When the arcade and the face masonry wall were extended by the addition of the New House in 1484, four additional towers were built. In the early 18th century, the city hall was subjected to a major stylistic modification to suit the Baroque tastes of the period. The Gothic arcade was replaced by the porch which is still standing today. At the same time, the growing complexity of the administration required more office space, and the large halls were sub-divided into smaller rooms. A Neo-Gothic redecoration was carried out around 1900. In 2002, the restoration works at the city hall were finally completed. Fittings, panels and other later additions which only served to spoil the overall artistic effect were removed in order to emphasize the essentially Gothic structure of the building while also preserving the contributions from the subsequent periods and complementing the design with modern elements.


links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com