Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Lübeck

Lübeck Stadttheater

architect

Prof. Martin Dülfer, Dresden

location

Luebeck

date

1906-8

style

Art Nouveau 

construction

stone facade

type

Theatre
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  the Casino-Theater (built 1858, demolished 1907)
Built 1907-1908 by Martin Dülfer for the city of Lübeck, on the former site of the Casino-Theater (built 1858, demolished 1907). Opened 1 Oct 1908 with Wagner's ouverture to "Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg", Goethe's "Geschwister", and Schiller's fragment "Demetrius". 1925 conversion of the "Marmorsaal" hall to the chamber theatre "Kammerspiele" (325 seats). 1938-1939 interior alterations and modernization. 1951-1952 extension by a storage tract. 1965-1966 installation of a studio stage in a former cafeteria hall (90 seats). 1992 closed due to safety concerns. 1993-1996 major restoration by Chlumsky, Peters, and Hildebrand. Re-opened April 1996. Main theatre ("Großes Haus"): 920 seats. Used for opera and drama performances by the resident companies.

links

http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/germany/luebeck_stadttheater.htm
theater lübeck
www.essential-architecture.com