Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Lübeck

St. Petri zu Lübeck






13th century


Hanseatic Brick Gothic




St. Petri of Luebeck is well over 800 years old. As early as 1170, it was together with St. Mary, the mother church of brick Gothic, mentioned. As the first church looked on the hill stood Petri, is unfortunately not known. Fifty years later began the construction of a late three-hall church, a compact structure, which traces still in the tower wall can be found.

In the second half of the 13th century Lübeckers began during the ascent of the city, their church buildings and to enlarge them into the formal language of the Gothic convert. For 1290 was sent to the Romanesque hall of St. Peter initially grown a Gothic choir, nearly twice as high as the rest of church space.

On the old foundations was then a new, Gothic hall. The West with the tower remained. An ambitious attempt in the late 14th Century, the Cathedral and St. Mary same double tower and a plant to build, did not come to completion. From the fourteenth century chapels were added. Original and for today's decisive impression of space was the forming of the chapels in the north and south to two other aisles at the turn at 16 Century.

Today, the fascinated viewer: After so many alterations over the centuries has created a space that looks like a masterpiece from a casting works.

On Palm Sunday 1942 bombs fell in Luebeck. The Petrikirche not only lost their enormous roof and spire, the church's interior burned up in the last corner.

While in St. Mary the backup and reconstruction work already during the war began, St. Peter remained a long time ruin. Roof and spire were in the sixties renewed. Only after 1987, the historical monuments aspects restored interior of a new purpose over St. Peter as a church for the whole city.