Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Lübeck

Lübecker Rathaus (Town Hall)

architect

 

location

Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein, northern Germany

date

1226

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Town Hall Government
 
 

 
   
The Luebeck City Hall
The Luebeck City Hall is a backsteingotischer construction and one of the largest and most important buildings of its kind in Germany.

History
The construction began shortly after the ceremony of the reach of freedom, which received Luebeck 1226. From the early construction testify today parts of the south wall in the late style. 1308 was the Town Hall finished. 1435 was the cultivation of the New Gemachs late in style with the towers occupied and from different brick wall built review, and about 150 years later the Renaissance porch of sandstone on the market side. 1594 followed by the Dutch Renaissance style, built stairs to the street widths. It led to the so-called war room, which is behind the show was wall, but no longer used. This name part of the complex shows that the Hanseatic not only impact on the economy, but also on policy and often about war and peace constituency.

The Town Hall meeting of the Council of the Hanseatic City as a court: the Oberhof Luebeck was until 1820 appellate court decisions from other cities to the right circle Lübschen belonged.

The town hall is still the seat of the Mayor and meeting place of citizenship. The main entrance is not on the market but in the road widths.

Back to the enlarged complex of the town hall also includes the north of the road widths office building in the style of brick Renaissance.

Interior Design
The building rests on a pass from arcades cross rib vault, which was formerly under the stalls of goldsmiths and the Council balance stood.

Right behind the entrance door are the huge foyer and a staircase, along with many pictures hanging scenes from the city founded on. The right is the Renaissance portal, which Tönnies 1574 by the Elder Evers. was prepared and in the Council and audience hall. In the equipment room this shows the transition between late Baroque and Rococo. On the walls are ten allegorical paintings by Stefano Torelli, on this 1754 to 1761 anfertigte. They represent the virtues of good government, which all but one as female figures were presented. Only after a virtue of imagination to former world time the female embodiment of virtue would be unthinkable. The paintings are in stucco frame and shape the hall in the style of the Rococo.

Just about the audience hall was located in the Middle Ages, the Hanse Hall, which is the meeting place of the same German cities. This area was 1818 through administrative regions.

In the western wing is the citizenship hall, built in 1891 in the wake of major renovation work in the neo-Gothic style. In the corridors are paintings of former mayors and councillors. The portraits of the Mayor of Wickede and Höveln to the Lübecker the Renaissance painter Hans Kemmer attributed.

links

 
www.essential-architecture.com