Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Greifswald

St. Mary’s Church

architect

 

location

Greifswald, northeastern Germany.

date

1340

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
 
 
   
Contact:
Brüggstraße 35,
17489 Greifswald
Phone: +49 (0)3834 2263
Fax: +49 (0)3834 776959
Email: kgm.st.marien@kirchenkreis-greifswald.de

opening hours:
variable

the building:
St. Mary’s is the youngest of the town’s three parish churches and was started in 1275 as a basilica in the style of the French High Gothic. Following a review of the original plans around 1310, the church eventually became one of the most important hall churches of the Northeast German brick Gothic and was completed around 1340 when the monumental east gable was erected. Architecturally significant and artistically important elements of the church include the richly structured St. Anne’s chapel at the south side of the church (which was constructed at the same time as the main church), the mighty western tower, partially preserved medieval wall paintings from the 15th century, a pulpit from 1587 and the impressive Neo-Gothic decorations of the east side of the altar from 1837. The lower storey of the tower is dedicated to the memory of the founding father of Greifswald’s medieval university (est. 1456), Dr. Heinrich Rubenow.

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com