Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Greifswald

Ruins of the Eldena monastery

architect

 

location

Greifswald, northeastern Germany.

date

1245

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Church
 
 
 
  Casper David Friedrich (1774-1840), Eldena Ruin (1825)
 
  The Abbey in the Oakwood, 1808–1810.
 Contact:
Greifswald-Information
Wolgaster Straße
17493 Greifswald-Eldena
Phone: +49 (0)3834 521380
Fax: +49 (0)3834 521382
Email: Greifswald-Information@t-online.de
Internet: www.greifswald.de

the building:
The Eldena monastery, situated about 5 km to the East of Greifswald’s city centre, was established around 1200 (initially under the name of Hilda) by Cistercian monks. Following the papal confirmation in 1204, the oldest still preserved sections of the building – the choir, the transept and the central nave of the monastery church – were all completed by 1245. In 1249, Duke Wartislaw III. became the feudal landlord of the market town of Greifswald. From 1255 onwards, the older enclosure was built, and around 1400 the church was substantially extended to include, among other features, a burial plot for the Duke and his family. After 1535, the monastery was converted into a ducal office, and by the end of the 16th century, a range of constructional and functional alterations had given the building a largely residential character. Following extended lootings in the Thirty Years’ War, the church and enclosure buildings entered a stage of seemingly terminable decline and were used as a quarry. But when C. D. Friedrich used the scene as a motive for some of his most famous drawings and paintings, the ruins became a shrine for the romantic movement all over Europe and have been preserved to this very day in the midst of a beautiful park.

links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com