Essential Architecture-  Frankfort on the Main (Frankfurt am Main)

Liebfrauenkirche und Liebfrauenberg Church of Our Lady, Our Lady's Square

architect

 

location

Frankfurt am Main, Hessen, Germany

date

c. 1415-1515

style

late Gothic

construction

Stone

type

Church
 
 
  Liebfrauenkirche
The Liebfrauenkirche (Church of our Lady) was donated by Wigel von Wanebach in the second decade of the 14th century. The original tiny building was enlarged early in the 15th century. The roof was renewed in baroque times, and the little gables that topped the large windows were removed. The east portal of 1415, on the south side was especially admired because of its fine depiction of the Adoration of the Magi. The interior is quite dark but very simple, and much more spiritual than many of the larger cathedrals in Germany.
There is still a nice tombstone from 1322 inside the church. Only the south side was exposed (until the Liebfrauenstrasse was built to connect the square to the Zeil in 1855), and this remains its best side, with a proud row of windows, each with different late gothic fretwork.

links

With thanks to http://altfrankfurt.com , a website devoted to pre-war Frankfurt images.
www.essential-architecture.com