Essential Architecture-  Berlin

Maxim-Gorki-Theater former "Haus der Singakademie für Musik- und Kulturgeschichte"

architect

Karl Friedrich Schinkel

location

Mitte, Am Festungsgraben 2 (off Unter den Linden, behind the Neue Wache)

date

1825-1827

style

NeoClassical

construction

masonry

type

Theatre
   
  [Berlin: Maxim-Gorki-Theater]
 
  [Berlin: Maxim-Gorki-Theater][Berlin: Maxim-Gorki-Theater]
   

Built 1825-1827 as "Haus der Singakademie für Musik- und Kulturgeschichte" by Karl Theodor Ottmer (using a design by Karl Friedrich Schinkel). Opened 8 Apr 1827 with a mass by Carl Friedrich Fasch and a chorale by Carl Friedrich Zelter. Used as concert hall by the Singakademie choral concerts and for scholarly lectures (e. g. by Alexander von Humboldt). 1848 rebuilding by H. Bürder, subsequently used for conventions of the Nationalversammlung. 1865 interior alterations by Martin Gropius, installation of a concert organ. 1875 extension by a staircase wing by M. Helwig. 1888 interior alterations and extension by a second staircase wing by Reimer & Körte. Destroyed by bombs on 22 Nov 1943.

1947 rebuilding of the exterior and conversion to a drama theatre (including the addition of a fly tower) by Fritz Bornemann and Rey. Subsequently operated as a theatre by the neighbouring "Haus der Kultur der Sowjetunion". 1952 renamed "Maxim-Gorki-Theater" in honour of the Russian author, Maxim Gorki (1868-1936). Re-opened 30 Oct 1952 with "Für die auf See". Since then used as a drama theatre by the resident company. 441 seats.

Notable world premieres:

  • Heiner Müller: Die Korrektur (15 May 1958)
  • Peter Hacks: Rosie träumt (19 Dec 1975)

Special thanks to http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/index.html




 
 
 
 
 

links

 
www.essential-architecture.com