Essential Architecture-  Berlin

The Chancellery

architect

 

location

 

date

 

style

Postmodern

construction

 

type

Government
 
 
  The former Chancellry (Nazi wartime, architect Albert Speer)
 

The Wilhelmstraße side of the Reichskanzlei (Reichs Chancellery), seen about 1939 (left) and in 1945 (right). The Reichskanzlei was one of the premier projects of architect Albert Speer. It was heavily damaged by Allied bombing and the ruins were destroyed by the Soviets in the late 1940s.

Although the building itself is gone, some remains can still be seen in Berlin. Red marble from the interior of the Reichskanzlei was used extensively in the building of the Mohrenstraße U-bahn (subway) station, and also for the Soviet war memorial in Treptower Park (below).

 

Soviet war memorial in Treptower Park, made of marble from the demolished Reichskanzlei.

  With special thanks to the excellent website www.thirdreichruins.com
 

links

 
www.essential-architecture.com