Essential Architecture-  Berlin

Berlin Schauspielhaus Concert Hall

architect

Karl Friedrich Schinkel

location

on Gendarmenmarkt, Berlin

date

1821

style

Greek Revival

construction

stone

type

Theatre
 
 
  [Berlin: Schauspielhaus (1821) / Konzerthaus]
 
 
  The Schauspielhaus, showing the Französischer Dom in the background on the Gendarmenmarkt

 
 
  Above- the Schiller monument in front of the Schauspielhaus. 
  [Berlin: Schauspielhaus (1821) / Konzerthaus][Berlin: Schauspielhaus (1821) / Konzerthaus]
  [Berlin: Schauspielhaus (1821) / Konzerthaus][Berlin: Schauspielhaus (1821) / Konzerthaus]
  [Berlin: Schauspielhaus (1821) / Konzerthaus][Berlin: Schauspielhaus (1821) / Konzerthaus]
  [Berlin: Schauspielhaus (1821) / Konzerthaus][Berlin: Schauspielhaus (1821) / Konzerthaus]
  Special thanks to http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/germany/berlin__various.htm
Built 1818-1821 as "Königliches Schauspielhaus" by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, using the remains of the previous Schauspielhaus (built 1801, destroyed by a fire in 1817). Scultpural decoration by Friedrich Tieck and Christian Rauch. Opened 26 May 1821 with Gluck's ouverture and Goethe's drama "Iphigenie auf Tauris", and Karl von Mecklenburg's ballet "Rosenfee". The complex included a theatre with 1600 seats and a smaller concert hall. 1848 occoupied by armed forces. 1852-1853 rebuilding by A. Stüler and H. Bürde. 1883-1884 façade decoration with natural stone. 1888 modernization of stage technology. 1905 major rebuilding by F. Genzmer, destroying Schinkel's original theatre auditorium design. 1919 renamed "Staatstheater". 1935 reconstruction of the original concert hall and reconstruction of Schinkel's original theatre auditorium by Hans Grube. 1935 renamed "Staatstheater - Großes Haus". Damaged by bombs in 1943, subsequently restored. Nearly completely destroyed by bombs on 23 Apr 1945.

Safety measures in the 1950s. From 1967, exterior rebuilding to the original designs. 1979-1984 interior rebuilding by K. Just, Manfred Prasser, and Peter Weiss as a concert hall with three venues: a great hall (1850 seats), a chamber music hall (ca. 450 seats), and the "Musikclub". Acoustics consultants: Wolfgang Fasold, Helgo Winkler, Peter Tennhardt, and Eberhard Küstner. Re-opened 1 Oct 1984 as "Konzerthaus am Gendarmenmarkt" with a symphonic concert. Since 1984, home to the Berliner Symphonie-Orchester (BSO). 1994 renamed "Konzerthaus Berlin". Currently used for symphonic and chamber concerts.

Notable world premieres:

Carl Maria von Weber: Der Freischütz (18 June 1821)
Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy: Die Hochzeit des Gamacho (29 Apr 1827)
Carl Loewe: Die drei Wünsche (18 Feb 1834)
Heinrich von Kleist: Penthesilea (25 Apr 1876)
Gerhart Hauptmann: Iphigenie in Delphi (15 Nov 1941)

links

http://www.konzerthaus.de/
www.essential-architecture.com