Essential Architecture- Search by architect
Alexandre Bigot Ceramics Designer
Alexandre Bigot, born on November 5 1862 in Mer and died April 27 1927 in Paris, is a French ceramist specialist in architectural ceramics.
After a short passage in the workshop of Paul Beyer (1873-1945) in Switzerland, Bigot installed his first furnace in 1889 in Mer. It began with a major asset out of pocket: a diploma of chemistry, which brought an extremely requested knowledge to him, in particular by Jean Carries, who in his turn influenced him later. For the practical side (turning and moulding), he profited from the councils of Raphaël Tessier (1860-1937).
In 1897, architectural ceramics, timidly presents at the World Fair of 1889, was then in full expansion and Alexandre Bigot transformed his company into limited company. He transferred his Parisian store from the street of Assas to the street of the Small Stables, and installed in Aulnay close to Sea, a factory which employed to 150 workmen and counted 10 industrial furnaces. He was then the principal actor of architectural ceramics with Emile Muller, and its notoriety, in constant growth, led it to work with the largest sculptors and architectstime. Its production then was extremely varied, of the single objet d'art to the architectural element, and its work was rewarded by a Great Price with the World Fair for 1900.
He ceased this activity in 1914 to become adviser technical ceramic industry.
It collaborated with many architects:
Anatole de Baudot (church Saint-Jean-with-Montmartre 9 street of the Abbesses in Paris),
Louis Bigaux (real said Vuitton Building 70-72 avenue of the Fields-Élysées in Paris),
Hector Guimard (Manor house Béranger 14, street Lafontaine in Paris),
Frantz the Jordan (Department stores Samaritaine),
Jules Lavirotte, with whom it collaborated regularly (real 29 Rapp avenue in Paris, Ceramic Hotel 34 avenue of Wagram in Paris, etc),
Auguste Perret (real 25 (a) Franklin street in Paris),
Wild Henri (Majorelle Villa in Nancy),
Henry van of Velde
and also with sculptors:
Its sandstones failed to enamel the corridors of the Parisian subway.
|By going out of the subway station Raspail, at the beginning of the street Campagne-Première ( N°31), you will discover André Arfvidson’s exceptional building built in 1911 (Art déco/Art Nouveau Transition). The ceramic facade is of Alexandre Bigot. Man Ray had its studio in this building (this artist had several addresses in the district).|