Essential Architecture- New England

Albany City Hall

architect

Henry Hobson Richardson

location

Albany, New York

date

1880-3

style

Richardsonian Romanesque

construction

stone

type

Government
 
  View from Corning Tower
 
  A side view of Albany City Hall
 
  A statue of Philip Schuyler by J. Massey Rhind in front of the building
 
 
 

Albany City Hall is the seat of government of Albany, New York. It houses the office of the mayor, the Common Council chamber, and the City and Traffic Courts. Designed by Henry Hobson Richardson in his trademark Richardson Romanesque style, the granite building was constructed between 1880 and 1883. Albany City Hall is known for its pyramidal-roofed clock tower, which contains the nation's first municipal carillon. The largest of the instrument's 60 bells weighs 11,200 pounds, and the carillon is still played regularly. A 1710 portrait of Peter Schuyler, Albany's first mayor, hangs in the mayor's office. It was painted by Sir Godfrey Kneller in London. Located on the corner of Eagle and Pine Streets, Albany City Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 4, 1972. A statue of Major General Philip Schuyler by J. Massey Rhind stands in front of it. The building is across the street from the New York Court of Appeals and the State Capitol, which Richardson also worked on.

 
www.essential-architecture.com