Essential Architecture- New England

"Glass House," Philip Johnson house

architect

Philip Johnson

location

New Canaan, CT

date

9 (R.5-49)

style

International Style Mid-century modern

construction

steel and glass

type

House
 
  a: angle view, photo 1976, J. Nicholais (Drexel U.).
 
  b: close front, photo 1976, J. Nicholais (Drexel U.).
 
  c: oblique front, photo 1976, J. Nicholais (Drexel U.).
 
  d: living room looking out, photo 1976, J. Nicholais (Drexel U.).
 
  e: living room looking to end, photo 1976, J. Nicholais (Drexel U.).
 
  f: folly, photo 1976, J. Nicholais (Drexel U.).
 
  g: general view, from angle, photo 1965, D. Stillman.
 
  h: close view of corner, photo 1965, D. Stillman.
The Glass House or Johnson house, built in 1949 in New Canaan, Connecticut, was an important project for architect Philip Johnson and his associate Richard Foster, and for modern architecture. It was also the place of Philip Johnson's passing in January of 2005.

The house is located behind a stone wall on Ponus Ridge Road in New Canaan, and is mostly hidden from the public's view. The Glass House is one of eleven buildings that Johnson either built or refined on his rambling 47-acre estate.

After Johnson's death the Glass House passed to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which is opening it to visitors from April 2007.

The house often draws comparisons to Mies van der Rohe's Farnsworth House.

Society of Architectural Historians

Special thanks to the Society of Architectural Historians
for some of the images on this page (copyright SAH).
www.essential-architecture.com