Essential Architecture-  Chicago South and West

K.A.M. Isaiah Israel Temple

architect

Alfred S. Alschuler

location

1100 E. Hyde Park Blvd.

date

1924; addition, 1926

style

Mixture of NeoByzantine and Art Deco 

construction

Brick

type

Synagogue
 
 
   
This building, based on Byzantine-style design precedents, houses the oldest Jewish congregation in Chicago. The first Jewish settlers in the city organized Kehilath Anshe Maariv in 1847; Isaiah Israel had its roots in the city's second Jewish congregation, which was founded in 1852. In 1971, the two merged to form K.A.M. Isaiah Israel Temple.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com