Essential Architecture-  Chicago South and West

South Side Community Art Center

architect

Gustav Hallberg; Remodeling, Hin Bredendieck and Nathan Lerner

location

3831 S. Michigan Ave.

date

1892-93; remodeled in 1940

style

Georgian Revival , interior Bauhaus 

construction

Brick

type

Public Hall
 
 
   
Built for grain merchant George Seaverns, Jr., this Georgian Revival -style residence was converted in 1940 for use by the South Side Community Art Center. The building's interior, remodeled at that time, is a rare example of New Bauhaus -style design. The art center, which was established as part of the Works Progress Administration's (WPA) Federal Art Project, has been influential in the development of the city's African-American artists. It is the only continuous survivor of the more than 100 centers established nationwide by the WPA during the 1930s and '40s.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com