Essential Architecture-  Chicago South and West

DuPont-Whitehouse House

architect

Oscar Cobb & Co.

location

3558 S. Artesian Ave.

date

1875-76

style

Italianate

construction

Brick

type

House
 
 
   
This Italianate-style brick residence dates to the early history of the southwest side community of Brighton Park. It was built by the DuPont explosives company for Junot Whitehouse, the superintendent of its gunpowder plant. It was later the home of developer Joseph McCaffery, the so-called "Father of Brighton Park." In 1920, it was moved one block from its original location at 36th and Western.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com