Essential Architecture-  Chicago South and West

Quinn Chapel

architect

Henry F. Starbuck

location

2401 S. Wabash Ave.

date

1892

style

a mixture of Romanesque and Gothic

construction

Stone

type

Church
 
 
   
This church houses Chicago's oldest African-American congregation, which traces its origins back to 1844, when seven individuals formed a nondenominational prayer group that met in the house of one of its members. In 1847, the group organized as a congregation of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Named for Bishop William P. Quinn, the church played an important role in the city's abolitionist movement. After the Chicago Fire of 1871 destroyed the original church, the congregation met for many years in temporary locations. The congregation purchased the present site in 1890, and the current church is a reminder of the late-19th century character of the area.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com