Essential Architecture-  Chicago South and West

Second Presbyterian Church

architect

Original construction, James Renwick; reconstruction, Howard Van Doren Shaw

location

1936 S. Michigan Ave.

date

1874; reconstructed in 1900

style

Gothic Revival

construction

Stone

type

Church
 
 
   
When this Gothic Revival-style church was designed--by a prominent New York architect-- the surrounding streets, including Prairie Avenue, one block east, were lined with the homes of wealthy Chicagoans. Members of the congregation included the Glessners, the Pullmans, and the widow of President Abraham Lincoln. The interior decorations include stained-glass windows by Louis Comfort Tiffany. A fire in 1900 destroyed much of the church, but it was reconstructed under the supervision of architect Howard Van Doren Shaw.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com