Essential Architecture-  Chicago South and West

Clarke House

architect

Unknown

location

1855 S. Indiana Ave.

date

Circa 1836

style

Greek Revival

construction

wood

type

House
 
 
   
This is one of Chicago's oldest buildings and the best surviving example of the Greek Revival style, which was fashionable in the early 19th century. The original owner was Henry B. Clarke, a wealthy hardware dealer, who died in 1849; thereafter, the building became known as the "Widow Clarke's house." It was moved from its former location in the 4500-block of South Wabash, to its current site in 1977, where it is part of the Prairie Avenue District.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com