Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northwest

Five Houses on Avers District

architect

Frederick B. Townsend

location

1942-2102 S. Avers Ave.

date

1892-94

style

Romanesque Revival.

construction

Stone

type

Neighbourhood Houses
 
 
The five large lots on this block were developed by Czech immigrant Jan Kralovec, shortly after the Cermak Road streetcar line was extended to this area. The building at 1942 S. Avers was built for Antonie Kubin; the one at 1950 for contractor Frank C. Layer; the two at 1952 and 1958 for lumber company executives John Krupka and John Miksak, and the one at 2102 for Kralovec. Together, the five houses demonstrate a unified streetscape derived from their Romanesque Revival-style design.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com