Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northwest

Wicker Park District

architect

Various

location

Bounded by Bell, Caton, Leavitt, Potomac and "L" tracks

date

1870-1930

style

Italianate, Queen Anne, Second Empire, and Romanesque Revival.

construction

Various

type

Neighbourhood Houses
 
 
This area is named for the triangular-shaped public park that developer-politician Charles Wicker, and his brother Joel, donated to the city in 1870. The large residences that line the park and nearby streets reflect the wide variety of styles and materials characteristic of Chicago between the Fire of 1871 and the early-20th century.

Pierce and Hoyne streets feature some of the city's largest and best examples of Victorian-era architecture and, due to the large number of brewery owners who built residences on Hoyne, that street became known as "Beer Baron Row." Early inhabitants were largely German and Scandinavian in origin, although a later influx of Polish immigrants led to the area being called the "Polish Gold Coast."

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com