Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northwest

St. Ignatius College Prep Building

architect

Toussaint Menard; west addition, John P. Huber

location

1076 W. Roosevelt Road

date

1869; west addition 1874

style

Second Empire

construction

Brick

type

Education
 
 
The culmination of Father Arnold J. Damen, S.J.'s work in Chicago, this building was opened in 1870 as St. Ignatius College. Loyola University originated from this institution but, since 1922, St. Ignatius has operated solely as a college preparatory school. The Second Empire-style edifice is among the oldest in the city, a rare and distinctive example of institutional designs pre-dating the Chicago Fire of 1871.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com