Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northwest

Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church

architect

Hugh M.G. Garden (later of Schmidt, Garden & Martin)

location

2151 W. Washington Blvd.

date

1901

style

combination of classical and modern elements, reminiscent of McKim, Mead & White's Grand Central Station in New York.

construction

Stone

type

Transport
 
 
This design represents a deliberate break from traditional church architecture. Originally built as the Third Church of Christ, Scientist, the building's combination of classical and modern elements demonstrates the architect's search for an appropriate design for the then-new Christian Science religious movement. Hugh M.G. Garden's distinctive ornament, often referred to as "Gardenesque," can be found throughout. The building was sold to the Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church in 1947.
 

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com