Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northwest

Goldblatt Bros. Department Store

architect

Alfred S. Alschuler

location

1613-35 W. Chicago Ave.

date

1921-22 and 1925-28

style

late Chicago school 

construction

terracotta

type

Department Store
   
 
 
   
One of the nation's oldest large neighborhood department stores, this is the first in a regional chain of more than three dozen stores founded by brothers Maurice and Nathan Goldblatt. The company's "value-oriented services" and innovations helped revolutionize American retailing. The three-story brick structure was built first; the five-story terra-cotta addition was constructed in stages to accommodate the rapid expansion of "America's Fastest Growing Department Store." Both buildings were designed in the late-Chicago School commercial style by one of the city's most prolific architects, whose other designs from this period are the K.A.M. Isaiah Israel Temple and the London Guarantee Building.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com