Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northwest

Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral and Rectory

architect

Louis Sullivan

location

1121 N. Leavitt St.

date

1903

style

Russian provincial

construction

load-bearing brick covered with stucco

type

Church
   
 
 
Designed to resemble the Russian provincial churches known to its first parishioners, this elegant church is an unexpected feature of its neighborhood. Even more surprising is the fact that its construction was partially paid for by Russian Czar Nicholas II. The walls of the church are load-bearing brick covered with stucco; the detailing of the two-story rectory repeats the same sinuous curve found in the roofline of the church. The ideologies held by the client and the designer harmonized well in this project, producing one of the most-inspired, small-scale works of influential architect Louis Sullivan.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com