Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northwest

Race House

architect

Unknown

location

3945 N. Tripp Ave.

date

1874

style

Italianate

construction

Brick

type

House
   
 
 
   
This is the only remaining structure associated with the family that founded the village of Irving Park. This brick Italianate house, built for Stephen A. Race, is also representative of the area's early residential development prior to its annexation to Chicago in 1889. The building originally was sited on a spacious lot fronting on Irving Park Road, a former Indian trail. It was moved to its present location in 1905, at which time several modifications were made.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com