Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northwest

Whistle Stop Inn

architect

Unknown

location

4200 W. Irving Park Road

date

1889

style

Italianate

construction

wood

type

Shop
   
 
 
Originally constructed by Henry E. Nichols as a grocery store with second-floor living quarters, this building is a rare survivor of the type of modest wood structures that were built throughout the outlying neighborhoods of the city in the late-19th century. For many years it housed a drugstore, and reportedly was the location of the Irving Park Road toll station from 1891-94. A familiar landmark of the Irving Park community, it is popularly known by a name that was associated with a later-era tavern. It has been extensively remodeled over the years.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com