Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northeast

Burling Row House District

architect

Edward J. Burling

location

2225-2245 N. Burling Street

date

1875

style

Italianate

construction

Brick

type

row Houses
 
 
 
   
The ten brick row houses that make up this district form one of the best surviving row house groupings built in the post-Chicago Fire years of the 1870s. They were among the first built following passage of a city ordinance that required "fireproof" masonry construction in the city's neighborhoods. They are significant examples of the Italianate style, which dominated Chicago architecture between the Civil War and the late-1870s. Because they were designed as a unit, the row houses have an exceptional architectural unity with common setbacks, scale, and height. They are further distinguished for their fine window ornament and a very rare, intact wooden cornice that all ten houses share. The row houses were designed by one of Chicago's earliest and most important architects, whose other prominent buildings include St. James Episcopal Cathedral, the Nickerson Mansion, and the Church of the Epiphany (see Jackson Boulevard District). The street was named for Burling in the 1850s.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com