Essential Architecture-  Chicago Northeast

Old Town Triangle District

architect

Various

location

Bounded by Lincoln, North, Wells, and the former Ogden right-of-way

date

1871-1900

style

Various

construction

Brick

type

row Houses
 
 
 
   
This area was settled in the 1850s by German immigrants, whose community life centered around St. Michael's Church. The Fire of 1871, however, destroyed all of the houses and most of the church. Small frame Worker's-style Cottages were built again, until a city ordinance was enacted that prohibited further wood construction. Brick and stone were then used to construct larger houses; the district's eastern portion was developed with rowhouses and apartment buildings. In the 1940s, a renewal of community concern brought about one of the nation's earliest neighborhood revitalization efforts, which helped preserve this area's narrow tree-lined streets and distinctive architectural character.

links

With special thanks to the City of Chicago website, www.egov.cityofchicago.org , for much of the info on this page.
Photos copyright City of Chicago.
www.essential-architecture.com